Saturday, June 7, 2008

What I've learned...so far

August will mark 1 year of home ownership for Adam & I. I used to think I knew a lot--sometimes I even thought I knew everything. I'm slowing learning I don't. Owning a house has showed me that I know a whole bunch of jack squat. Most days I feel that someone has pressed fast forward on our capacity for learning how to do things, and most of them seem to be the hard way. So, in no particular order, here is the wisdom I am prepared to dispense:
  • One year in home ownership is the equivalent of 1 month in real time. I now know how people can live in the same house all their adult lives, as I'm pretty sure someone turned on the hyperspeed last year and I haven't figure out how it slow it down.
  • Something is always dirty and needs your attention. Especially if you just cleaned it last week.
  • You are never finished. Ever. Start one project, get distracted by another, add another to the pile and before you know it your bathroom is down to the studs and there's a hole in the ceiling.
  • Something will always go wrong. Things won't go nearly as smoothly in real life as they do in that head of yours. Oh, and the thing you think is easy is at least 5 times harder than it looks.
  • People do weird things. Laminate flooring screwed into the wall for decoration, a dog themed bathroom and a screen door in the basement? Yes, and they all seemed like a good idea to someone.
  • Paint is the world's greatest invention. It's cheap, easy to apply and it changes everything. But, when you pick the wrong color you'll have to start over again and crying is very possible.
  • Dogs make it dirtier. If it doesn't shed all over the house, it will invariably poop or barf in the house and eat things you love. It's inevitable, and completely unavoidable so don't even argue with me.
  • Spackle and caulk fix everything. Seriously, they do.
  • You're going to be sore tomorrow. Whatever your project is, chances are you are moving in weird ways that you don't during the week when you're sitting at your desk. Your body will be pissed at you.
  • There's no I in team. As much as I think I know about the house, Adam always knows more or has thought of something that never occured to me.
  • Lots of Benjamins are necessary. $30 here, $250 there and before you know it, you need a home equity loan.
  • Patience and TV breaks and needed for sanity purposes. 'Nuff said.
  • Cat pee should be a weapon of mass destruction. It's foul, disgusting and soaks into everything it touches. It's impossible to get rid of and makes your throat burns. If it's touched that thing, you need to throw that thing away and THEN the smell will be gone.

I'm sure I know more, but the paint fumes have caused me to forget everything else. Have I convinced you to never own a home?

No comments: