Saturday, September 6, 2008

Everything I know, I learned from my dog


A while back, there was an e-mail going around on this subject. After scouring the 955 items in my deleted items folder, I am unable to locate it so I’ve attempted to recreate it instead. The more time I spend around my dog, the more I realize how true the concept really is. In no particular order, here is what my Rudi has taught me.

Unconditional love: No matter how many times I yell or get upset at my dog, she loves me just as much before the yelling as she did before. In fact, she goes out of her way to love me MORE afterwards, perhaps to make up for the wrongdoings that transpired beforehand.

Boredom now, regret later: She knows she is not supposed to chew on Adam’s hats, wallet, shoes, batteries and the remote control, but boredom often gets the best of my Rudi dog. As soon as I walk in the door after her run-in with any of the afore mentioned objects, Rudi attempts to get her body as close to the floor as possible. It’s either an attempt to hide or blend in the with the carpet (considering it’s covered in her hair, that’s not too much of a stretch). She knows it’s wrong, but it just tasted so good at the time.

Sharing is caring: No matter what I’m eating or where I’m eating it, Rudi knows there is some noshing going on, and she wants in on the action. I could be eating moldy spinach and Rudi would sit patiently, hoping I drop a strand or two so she can have some, too. She once ate an entire turkey sandwich left unattended, which really throws my idea of ‘sharing’ out the window.

The best toys in life are cheap: Rudi’s favorite toys are the following: old towels tied in a knot, old t-shirts tied in a knot and empty boxes. I have purchased nice, expensive toys and she has absolutely no interest in them. Those costly things are for the birds, she would rather have the good stuff. By “good stuff” I mean cheap hand-me-downs that were headed for the garbage.

The two most exciting things in life: Going on a walk and coming home. Rudi is completely and utterly inconsolable when she thinks she is going on a walk—it’s insane. As soon as I have my shoes on and walk toward the door, she knows what’s about to happen. She physically cannot sit still, cannot stop whining and acts like she’s going to die if she doesn’t go outside right now. Once we’re outside, it’s as if nothing ever happened. The arrival home of Adam or I is probably the second most exciting occurrence, filled with excitement and plenty of incessant jumping.

Always kiss me goodnight: Rudi usually won’t go to sleep until she has received a good night kiss from Adam. When Adam says, “Rudi, kiss,” she knows it’s time to hit the hay. She usually sits patiently by his side of the bed until she’s gotten her kiss, then moseys over to her bed at the end of our bed and drifts off to sleep. Of course, not before letting out a long sigh like she has had a long day at the office.

Nothing beats a good nap: Dogs sleep and nap—a lot. They seem to have no problem resting, lounging and being comfortable in general. It renews them and gives them the energy to chew on the remote control when you leave.

Work hard, play hard: After a long day of napping, Rudi grabs her old towel tied in a knot and is ready for some quality tug-of-war. If you aren’t interested in playing, that’s just too bad. She will whine, bark and make this annoying whistle through her nostrils until you give in to her will. And you will give in. If that doesn’t work, she’ll run frenzied, figure-8 circles around the dining room and coffee table until she’s panting uncontrollably. This is what we like to call “psycho dog.”

Be wary of loud noises and bright lights: Rudi loves everything except the vacuum cleaner. Her ears perk up when the vacuum rolls out of the closet and she stares skeptically at the vacuum as it draws closer. She vigilantly sits until her tolerance is reached and the vacuum is 2 feet from her body and then runs to the opposite side of the room as if being chased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, Rudi is so cute! :)

Michael Doenges said...

Nice post, but putting man clothes on dogs is wrong!