Wednesday, October 7, 2009

C'mon get happy

When things get crappy, I find myself scrambling to surround myself with things that make me feel better. Regardless of how you feel or the day you’ve just had, there are always things that will eternally make you smile, if only for a moment.
Here’s my list:
Puppies that look like Rudi: they always make me smile and usually make me (and my carpet) happy that I don’t have a puppy anymore.

A medium hazelnut coffee (with one Splenda) from Tim Horton’s: For $1.35, this cup of happiness opens a myriad of possibilities for the day ahead.
A refrigerator filled with fresh fruits & veggies: I feel a great sense of calm when I can open the fridge and an abundant, colorful selection of nature’s bounty is staring back at me.
A long bike ride to a place I’ve never been before: I’m a total creature of habit, but heading out on a 10-mile plus bike ride with Adam to someplace new really excites me. The random unleashed dogs that nip at our heels don’t, but it’s just part of the experience. Besides, isn’t that what mace is for?
A Blue Moon draft beer with a fresh slice of orange: Post-college, I’m an incredibly cheap date. However, I have never stopped loving my very favorite adult beverage. Throw in an outdoor patio and you should just hope I don’t pass out from excitement.
Reminiscing with old friends: There’s just something incredibly magical about meeting up with good friends from your past. I love the feeling of sharing stories and laughs with a group of people who left a lasting mark on your life, even if you only see them once a year.
Surprises: It’s pretty hard to sneak anything past me (because I’m so damn nosy) so when I’m genuinely surprised, it’s a pretty big deal.
Finishing a complicated project: As intense weekend warriors, Adam and I tackle quite a few in depth projects each year. Often, we start a project and it takes a while for us to see the finish line. OK, so maybe the bathroom we tore apart over a year ago is pushing the concept of “a while,” but you get the idea. The extended timeline just makes the victory that much sweeter, really.
Lying in bed before drifting off to sleep: Regardless of the day you just had, you always find yourself back in the same place you started at the end of every day. To me, there’s something magical about the chance to start fresh each day, and it always begins with going to sleep.

No comments: